Software or system requirements specification is a comprehensive collection of information that substantiates the environment and purpose of a software or system. Requirement specifications tell us what software is supposed to do and how can it be expected to perform.
The first important step when working on a software or system project is the identification and documentation of the requirements of a customer. A software project can become inefficient even before its development if its requirement specifications contain omissions, ambiguities, incorrect facts and inconsistencies.
Using SRS makes it convenient for developers to attain the desired goal as it requires less time and effort. It also involves lower development cost.
The various types of requirements are
- Functional: It is a comprehensive sub-set of the entire system requirement. It is used for considering system behavior, trade-offs, redundancy and human factors.
- Interface: It is usually handled separately with software requirements being derived separately by hardware.
- Performance: It must have a quantitative value and not a perceptive one. It is stated in measurable values in terms of levels, speeds, rate and frequency.
- Resource: It exposes the constraints regarding design to the system hardware utilization.
- Operational: It provides a specification with an "in the field" view.
- Acceptance testing: It involves the various types of tests that are to be done before customer acceptance.
- Verification: It involves the details about customer acceptance that are to be conducted after a project is completed. It specifies how performance and functional requirements are to be verified.
- Documentation: It determines what documents are to be delivered to a client.
- Safety: It includes human, data as well as equipment safety.
- Quality: It specifies all international as well as local standards that are to be followed.
- Maintainability: It takes care of the long term lift of a certain system.
- Reliability: Software needs to meet this requirement in order to perform certain functions under specific conditions for a certain span of time.
Our requirement services include
- Planning projects
- Analysis of requirements
- Developing prototypes
- Mentoring requirement engineers
- Eliciting requirements
- Developing software requirement specifications
- Assessing and reviewing specifications
- Training in specification, elicitation, planning and analysis
Efficient requirement specifications are able to define the interaction of an application with a hardware system, human users and other programs in a variety of real-life circumstances. It also assesses parameters like response time, operating speed, portability, availability, footprint, maintainability, recovery speed and protection from adverse situations.