5 Core HealthCare Mobility Challenges iOS 8 Resolves
Mobile usage is no more limited to routine business activities, but has extended its reach to more advanced applications like Clinical Care and Management.
Mobile health technology market is expected to exceed to $8 billion by 2018, according to metrics by research company GlobalData. That's up from $500 million in 2010, with a 44% compound annual growth rate.
At Cygnet, we believe that one of the biggest contributions of mobile to healthcare is empowering people to take an active role in Health and Wellness monitoring through cutting-edge Mobile Apps. There are a variety of Health monitoring apps available in the market that enable you to update and communicate healthcare metrics with your clinicians. In addition, mobile solutions are now also helping doctors, nurses, and hospital administrators take care of several other tasks using mobile devices like iPhones and iPads.
Core Healthcare Mobility Challenges Today
Having worked on a wide range of healthcare software development projects, ranging from FDA validation and QA of sensitive medical equipment and building multi-lingual healthcare portal for a Middle East National Health Authority, to developing an iOS-based learning management system and role based access control systems, our healthcare tech experts have run into a fair share of challenges.
While iOS and enterprise mobility in general offer incredible opportunities for transforming how healthcare works, there are several technical obstacles in the way. Some of the key challenges include:
- No interoperability between different applications,
- No uniform support for images and other graphical representations,
- A lack of proper analytics and algorithms for sending notifications to concerned people.
The recent announcement of iOS 8 and HealthKit from Apple is a testament to the commitment from Device Manufacturers and Software providers to overcome these obstacles. Let’s take a look at how Apple is trying to win the hearts & hands of healthcare professionals with iOS 8:
1) Low Power and Memory Consumption
- Challenge: Accessing bulky Healthcare applications and processing a larger data on mobiles and tablets is either impossible or drains out the entire battery.
- How iOS 8 Helps: Without overloading your phone memory and internal networks, you can still access the required data through iCloud Drive.
2) Integration & Security
- Challenge: Integration to healthcare is what kryptonite is to superman. The way mobile devices integrate with the Hospital’s Information Systems and other healthcare apps is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Access to patient’s health records before prescribing any medication is of prime importance, but any data breach has to be avoided at any costs. The questions is: how to secure data without hurting usability?
- How iOS 8 Helps: Integrating applications with fingerprint authentication for access control. Mobile Healthcare Applications can validate if a user is authorized to access a specific information from the central server. So no unwanted information can be accessed without proper authorization.
3) Quick Accessibility to Data
- Challenge: Quick access to patient data is an essential element of today’s healthcare environment. This requires care providers have access to patient information prior to patients’ arrival. Also, this accessibility needs to be extended to Billing and Payer systems.
- How iOS 8 Helps: Different healthcare applications can share their data with each other using the HealthKit, allowing secure access to patient’s healthcare metrics which can be used to track heart rate, body temperature, blood glucose, etc. In addition to this, by integrating electronic payment systems you can process the invoices and mail them to patients or other funding bodies.
4) Small Screen Size
- Challenge: It is inconvenient to display x-ray images and other Healthcare reports and forms on small mobile screens. So the screen tech in your hands will need to improve before doctors can spot that hairline cracks on their tablets.
- How iOS 8 Helps: The way Apple has built integration in iOS 7 and then pushed it further with iOS 8 it offers seamless transferring of data between different devices. You can start an activity on one device, say an iPad or a Mac, and seamlessly resume it on another device, like your iPhone. This enables medical practitioners to capture data with one device and peruse it on another, more comfortable device.
5) iPads and iPhones to Control Equipment
- Challenge: According to a report by Fortune magazine, a doctor’s time is increasingly scarce and expensive. Nurses and other staff are also over working overtime, and they end up spending too much time in routine, non-productive tasks related to administration. The challenge is to automate such tasks.
- How iOS 8 Helps: iOS can empower hospital staff with powerful mobile applications for monitoring patient’s progress and consultation. For that matter enabling the management and staff to control hospital equipment like switches, surgical lights, surgical tables, locks, thermostats, imaging machines, etc. through mobile phones and tablets with iOS 8.
Work with us for Better Healthcare
Since its inception, Cygnet Infotech has been involved in providing affordable, accessible and customized Health & Wellness Solutions. Equipped with expert resources, extensive research capabilities and a history of successful Mobile and HealthCare solutions implemented, Cygnet is a complete HealthCare Solutions Provider.
Our expertise at offering enterprise mobility solutions, coupled with our industry know-how in the field of healthcare, enables us to evaluate your specific needs and offer high-performance solutions.
If you are looking for smart healthcare solutions that can help you solve real-life problems, get in touch with us for a free consultation.
Cygnet Infotech is a CMMi level 3 and is ISO 27001:2013 and ISO 9001:2008 certified, 18 year old global technology provider enabling ISVs & enterprises through emerging technology, software engineering, technology consulting, SAP Implementation, advisory & maintenance services. It’s proven 18-year track record boasts of successfully delivered 1400+ valuable software solutions to its diverse clientele across the globe using a global delivery model.View All Posts