Content management systems have become an integral part of websites these days, and Java-based CMSes are quite popular. Whether it is about developing a simple website or complicated enterprise portal, you can find plenty of content management systems backed by Java, making it easy for you to develop robust and secure applications on the go.
Alfresco is one of the top open-source, Java content management systems with portlets. Behind this CMS is a celebrated team of developers, including the co-founder of Documentum. Its modular and robust architecture uses cutting-edge open source Java technologies, such as Hibernate, Spring, JSF and Lucene.
GRAILS Accelerating J2EE Application Development Whitepaper:
In addition to a powerful content repository, this CMS includes an out-of-the-box web portal framework for managing and using standard portal content, a CIFS interface that provides file system compatibility on Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems, a web content management system that can virtualize static websites and web apps via Activity workflow, Apache Tomcat, and Lucene indexing. Alfresco comes in three flavors:
Alfresco one is the full-fledged product which offers end-to-end content management, including management of scanned images, photographs, videos and even engineering drawings. It intuitive design improves the efficiency of business processes and promotes a friendly and rewarding a user experience. It also offers robust security features to protect and control access to the data.
Alfresco for Cloud
Alfresco offers its services on cloud through SaaS. It enables users to access the content from any device at anytime, anywhere securely.
Alfresco offers free mobile app for iOS and Android smartphones & tablets that allows users to manage the content of the website while on the go.
Apart from all these, it brings a whole host of features like: Document management, web content management, repository-level versioning, records management, transparent overlays (similar to UnionFS), auto-generated XForms (with AJAX support), image management, learning content management support for learning management systems, LOR Learning Object Repository, and integrated publishing.
Alfresco CMS Pros
- Rich collaboration tools
- Simplified web designing for people who less tech savvy people
- Ease of editing and managing image files
- Get rid of additional license fees
- Total freedom in software modification and customization to fulfill customers' needs due to Open Source license
- Dynamic development, ease of accessing current updates and rich functionality
- Out-of-the-box scalability
- Compatibility with the most used operating systems like Linux & Windows
- Full integration with popular office suites, like Microsoft Office & OpenOffice.org.
Alfresco CMS Cons
- Enrichment of current content is not so easy, have to reload the content
- No support for XQuery
- Content transformation is absent
We would love to help you leverage Alfresco CMS and make the most of this amazing platform. Get in touch with us and tell us about your requirements.