Software testing today is more complex than ever before. Conventional testing practices and tools which were successful earlier, are now staring at irrelevance due to the rapidly evolving continuous development and continuous testing ecosystem.
No matter how minutely a test engineer validates the application screens by various input combinations, bugs tend to creep in and reappear even with the best manual testing processes.
Considering this snowballing challenge across a wide range of Sitefinity projects at Cygnet, engineering brains united to invent a test automation approach for Sitefinity. The derived approach was intended to enable test engineers to minutely scrutinize the nitty gritty of an application by automating manual tests recurring due to changes in the source code.
How did they do it?
Having worked on a multitude of projects in different domains for clients across the globe, engineers utilized their experience and analyzed different dimensions of automation practices to come up with a result-oriented automation approach for Sitefinity.
Engineers combined a Windows based application built in C# with core Selenium to create reusable methods and functions that can be used across different projects as per the client’s need.
Cygnet’s Sitefinity Test Automation Framework
Benefits of Sitefinity Test Automation using Web Driver
Sitefinity Test Automation helps testing engineers to easily perform browser compatibility and functional automation testing. Some of its most observable benefits are;
- No additional software is needed to run the scripts
- Non-installable exe is used to run scripts
- Parallelly multiple projects can be executed
- The framework can be swiftly integrated with continuous integration tools like Jenkins and Bamboo
- The framework is data driven, uses inputs from XML, Excel and Database (SQL, MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Helps to simultaneously test multiple projects with minimum manual intervention.
Five stages of the process
Prior to taking advantage of this automation process, it is critical to follow this five-step process.
The primary focus during this phase is to collaborate with all the stakeholders of the application. Doing this helps to understand the business expectations from automation, the functionalities and identify modules to cover under automated testing.
Defining scope of automation
The entire application cannot be automated, so it is important to define the scope of automation. Defining the scope helps to identify the type of test cases to be covered during the automation phase that includes functional, regression and data driven test cases. The test engineers validate each scenario and provide feedbacks.
Use reusable components and methods
At Cygnet, test engineers have a rich repository of reusable components readily available for use across a wide range of projects. These components can be integrated with the current architecture and if needed, the components can be further enhanced.
Test script development and execution
In this phase, test cases are created. Once stable build of the application is received, the testing engineers start creating automation scripts. Doing this helps to,
- Execute the created scripts on different browsers
- Perform regression testing of the test suites on a periodic basis
Based on the testing, test summary reports are sent to the customer on a regular basis. For easy maintenance, version control of the automation script is logged.
Analysis and maintenance
This is final stage of the Sitefinity automation process. During this phase, testing engineers analyze the reports.
- If bugs are reported, defects are logged
- Scripts are modified to accommodate any change in the application
- A maintenance document is prepared to summarize all the methods / functions used in the automation script
- A test execution guide on how to configure test scripts on the test server is also prepared
- Training to the customer’s team is also provided
At Cygnet, test engineers have been adding new dimensions to the software testing space. Engineers have been helping global enterprises achieve quality transformation with high-performing end-to-end testing solutions.
Cygnet provides software testing and enterprise quality assurance services across the entire software product development lifecycle to address the quality challenges, thus enabling faster time-to-market and reducing cost.
To take advantage of our testing services, email us at email@example.com