Of course, Java brings tons of popular and user-friendly frameworks, content management systems and servers that help you simplify your application development process, website management process and much more irrespective of the size and complexity of your project. When it comes to CMS, Java possesses a host of CMSs that have been highly recognized in the market, but one CMS that has gained immense popularity and attention from the developers and companies across the world is “Magnolia”!
Magnolia CMS is built using Java and Java Server Pages (JSP). If you are planning to develop a website using Java, then it is worth considering this amazing content management system. Let’s explore more about this out-of-the-box Java-based content management system.
Magnolia: A Quick Preview
Just like any other Java-based CMS, Magnolia is an open source content management system developed by Magnolia International Ltd. It is basically based on the Content Repository API for Java. It is one of those rare CMSs that deliver smartphone simplicity on an enterprise-level. The mobile-inspired HTML5 UI (User Interface) works seamlessly via customizable, task-focused apps, a notification stream called Pulse and a system of Favorites for quickly accessing the workspace.
Magnolia: The Usage
Magnolia allows business users to confidently and easily enter, manage and publish content for the web and related channels. Also, it enables online marketing teams to control branding and content life cycles across multiple websites, languages, brands and channels. Moreover, it allows the developers to easily extend and customize the content management system in order to cater the diverse business needs & deeds.
Today, Magnolia powers the websites of government as well as a few of the leading Fortune 500 enterprises in 100+ countries across the world. It has been designed for heavy-load enterprise-scale websites and thus, world’s leading enterprises like Abbott Diabetes Care, A1 Arabiya, Allianz, DFAS, EADS, Generali Group, ING Bank, Foxtel, US Navy and more have entrusted Magnolia to establish their online presence.
GRAILS Accelerating J2EE Application Development Whitepaper:
Features, add-ons & more
Making a good CMS to cater the needs of the clients is never an easy task, and the developers Magnolia knows this thing better. Hence, Magnolia brings some of the much needed features and functionalities for the enterprises.
- It comes with a smart cache, a built-in clustering capabiliy and distributed deployment architecture that easily decouples authoring from publishing and the possibility to develop load-balanced public servers to bring more throughput and availability.
- It also offer code highlighting for the designers & developers, easy integration of 3rd party frameworks, extendable workflow, J2EE compliance, RSS generation & aggregation and more for the customization.
- When it comes to designing, it brings standard-based templating in JSP and servlets, unlimited page and component design, Freemarker as a template engine, custom tag library to speed up templating and pluggable templating engine for the designers.
- It brings Open APIs, advanced caching strategies, unlimited scalability, clustering & load balancing, transactional activation and tons of other performance related features & functionalities for the enterprises.
- From the security point of view, Magnolia brings flexible user permissions using role-based user management and distributed architecture, which is a need of today’s enterprises.
- It also enables team work through concurrent editing, deletion, address book, workgroup collaboration and some other features.
Apart from all these, Magnolia also enables search engine optimization, content tagging, configurable workflow, content versioning, social media integration, multilingual support, multi-site management, mobile publishing and tons of other enterprise-scale functionalities.
However, like any other technology or platform, Magnolia also has some notable plus and minus points. Let’s take a look at each of them:
- It’s an open source, so no need to spend a single penny to use. Also, it is licensed under GPL v3.
- The standard templating kit brings some out-of-the-box components that work well.
- It is quite good for smaller sites, which are related to the content. However, it is suitable for the larger sites too.
- Leverage from page-based site or navigation.
- It utilizes installer, but the WAR files can be used to redeploy it to some other place.
- There are many useful features, which are available only with the Enterprise edition pro with v4.4
- Not tablet-friendly as most of its actions are based on right-click.
The Ending Notes
Magnolia, although may be lacking on some grounds, but considering the features and the many facets of Magnolia after exploring its depth, all in all it can be considered as one of the rock-solid content management systems of today’s time that can take your digital presence and customer engagement to the next level. Don’t you agree?
Let us help others in knowing this. Share this exclusive coverage on Magnolia CMS now.