Web application development has seen a vital shift over the last few years. With technology advancements and deviations in programming landscape, the demands of business functionalities have changed. The demands of web application solutions have become complex based on innovative functionalities, competencies and straightforwardness. Consumer applications have equally become demanding as business applications. All this has impacted web development languages, frameworks and libraries. And most of the development standards have witnessed a paradigm shift.
However, many companies are still stuck developing web applications built on outdated technologies. If these companies fail to adapt now, their future could be bleak as web technologies is slated to advance with time.
So the critical questions are: How has web application development changed? What guidelines do the developers need to follow? And what present day principles they need to track to match the modern-day expectations?
To assist developers in answering these questions, here are some of the guidelines they need to follow while working on advanced web application development projects.
While creating web applications think about its usability
If you’re designing a web application, you should know there is much more that drives a good app than just coding. A good app needs to be designed in a way that users find it easy to use as well as visually attractive. If you fail to do this, you might end up creating apps with multiple menus, indistinct directives and functionalities deprived of flow contributing to poor user experience.
With standard of user expectations getting raised dramatically, gone are the days when you needed to focus only on solution optimization through servers and databases. The focus has now shifted on optimum user behavior and their perception. Without user acceptability, even the best backend technology won’t deliver results.
Here are 3 steps to improve usability:
1. Have a dialogue with the users early and often
- You need to understand what your business is all about and what your end users really want. Have frequent dialogues with them during the entire development process and not just at the initial stage. This would help you know what you need to develop and whether you are going in the right direction or not.
2. Work in small agile cycles
- Most developers spend all their time creating what they think is right. Misinterpretation combined with long development cycles can mess up your development However, working in small agile cycles not only delivers the projects faster but it also enables developers to deliver the most critical components based on their set priorities.
3. Quantifying everything
- Usability is beyond inquiring your users in terms of what they need. You should try to figure out how they will utilize the final application as a solution. Quantifying the development activities with feedbacks and reviews will help your development a great deal.
Refine your approach to platform fragmentation
One of the major challenge faced by developers today is platform fragmentation. No one knows how users will access your web applications. It could be using a Desktop, smartphone or a tablet. Some years back developers were able to control it by deploying it on a single version.
However, web applications today are used on remote networks. So they are required to be implemented or deployed on multiple devices as well as on various architectures.
Organizations need to partner, hire or train IT professionals to take care of platform fragmentation. They need to follow systematic methodologies along with customized testing strategies for different clients.
Use APIs Intelligently
Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) are key to advanced application development. They assist developers in creating web applications which fetches data from external applications. APIs must be used intelligently. As changes in API structure can negatively affect your applications.
However, the current software development set-up requires reusable and self-service infrastructure. This helps to reduce repetition of technology processes every time a new web application project is delivered. Well-structured APIs allow diverse systems to communicate with each other without causing any technical issues. They play a key role in bringing things together in a business application network.
By following the above guidelines, you can create a web app that benefits both business and end-users. We at Cygnet Infotech continuously evaluate the latest trends in both web and mobile app development communities. We are advancing and pushing ourselves every day to provide our clients with the best application development solutions.
For any queries related to web or mobile application development, please feel free to get in touch with us.