Ultimate Stratagems to Test your Mobile App
UNINSTALL IT ALL - Forget the old-style techniques of testing your mobile app. One crash in your app - prompts the user to pick up your competitor’s app! Do you really wish for that?
Increase in the adoption of mobile devices has fueled the growth of mobile app and is influencing business decisions. So, the question is: What quality influences a mobile app?
Perfect testing strategy provides quality assurance and fulfills customer expectations and business objectives through mobile app testing strategy. Developing buggy app without testing is like jumping off the cliff without parachute that turns-off the user and spoils the reputation.
Food for thought:
- Multiple device, multiple platform, multiple screen resolutions, memory sizes - Tester needs to ensure the compatibility of the app
- Scarcity of advanced testing tools- Instant bug fixes - agile development methodologies- frequent upgrades etc. gives rise to the frequent, cumulative feature updates
To avoid extended release cycles and bad user experience, win-win testing practices are needed to develop the engaging mobile app. Few criteria for that are: -
Mobile Device Selection
See the target audience and select the device accordingly. Analyze what is the probability of each phone. Each app must be tested for multi-platform and multi-device compatibility. Crucial factors to be considered are: -
- OS version - Regardless of Windows, Android or iPhone app development, you must test your mobile app on all important steady OS versions.
- Screen Resolution – Test on different screen sizes and screen resolution as UX varies on different displays.
- Form Factor - If app is compatible on all platform; it must be tested on all form factors.
Emulator vs Physical Device
When features are yet to develop in the early stages, device emulators come into the scenario. Being cost-effective it provides an excellent option like facility to bypass the network, use of live environment via modem and use of scripting language.
Testing on the physical device is important to understand the app’s behavior in real-life such as touch response and user experience.
This strategy requires the test tools to support testing with emulators and physical device.
Application Programing Interface(API) Testing
API Testing enables communication and data exchange between two separate software system. API is implemented by software system which contains functions and that is executed by another software system.
API mainly focus on business logic layer of the software architecture and doesn’t concentrate on UI/UX of the application. In order to test an API, you will need to
- Test tool to drive API
- Your own code to test API
Mobile Web-App Testing on Cloud
QA team can test complex web mobile apps that run in distributed component based environments, using various scripting language and Integrated development environment (IDE). They deliver numerous benefit for the customer like:
- Preconfigured architecture reduces the defects with flawed configurations and thus improves the quality of test
- Runs in a secure environment
- Supports wide range of programming language
- Team can access tools and results – Anywhere, anytime
- Real-time test result which helps to analyze the defects while tests run
In test environment, Wi-Fi network can be easy to set up and can be cost-effective. Several Simulation tools are available to achieve network speeds, bandwidths variation etc. which enhances the standards of the testing activities. Apart from this, limited connectivity, connectivity with high latency and no connectivity can be taken into account with the help of testing tools.
On-location testing should also be considered for the irregular networks in location such as Elevator, Underground Subway, remote areas etc.
Manual vs. Automated Testing
Automated Testing is useful in the following scenarios: -
- Regression Testing: Automated testing is suitable because code changes frequently and it has the ability to run regressions in timely manner.
- Load Testing: This involves real-life user load for target application and automation testing determines how your application behaves when multiple user hits occur simultaneously.
- Performance Testing: Testing which requires simulation of thousands of users. Automation testing is required for performance testing because it reduces the repetitive task to simulate multiple users.
Manual Testing is useful in the following scenarios: -
- Exploratory Testing: Here tester’s knowledge, experience, skills etc. is taken into account. This test is characterized by poorly written specification and has a less time for execution. So, human skill is required to execute the testing process
- Usability Testing: Here you need to measure how user friendly and convenient is your software product for the end users. So, here human skill is needed to execute the testing process
- Ad-hoc testing: Unplanned method of testing where understanding and insights of a tester plays an important factor.
Users are always worried about their data and credentials being exposed on the internet today. If your answer is NO for the below questions, you need to take serious steps.
- Does your app provide secure protocols for payment?
- Does your app use security certificates?
- Does your app require a user to be authenticated before they are allowed to access their data?
- Does your app carry maximum number of login attempts before they are locked out?
Security is everything and so you must look to encrypt username and passwords when authenticating the user over a network. You can also go for proxy server to opt for vulnerabilities.
Sharing glimpses and more…we would love to share more on how we do Testing. Wait no longer and go for lucrative testing solutions.
Cygnet Infotech is a CMMi level 3 and is ISO 27001:2013 and ISO 9001:2008 certified, 18 year old global technology provider enabling ISVs & enterprises through emerging technology, software engineering, technology consulting, SAP Implementation, advisory & maintenance services. It’s proven 18-year track record boasts of successfully delivered 1400+ valuable software solutions to its diverse clientele across the globe using a global delivery model.View All Posts